Implementing the ACA Project
Monitoring and Analysis of Insurance Reforms
The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA) ushers in significant health insurance reforms, including new health insurance exchanges and comprehensive market rules such as guaranteed issue, comprehensive rating requirements, and a ban on preexisting condition exclusions, among other significant consumer protections. These reforms are the foundation upon which the ACA will meet its ultimate goal of near universal coverage by extending coverage to 32 million people. The ACA's changes began in 2010, with the law's most significant reforms taking effect in 2014
With generous support from The Commonwealth Fund, the Center on Health Insurance Reforms (CHIR) has launched the “Implementing the ACA: Monitoring and Analysis of Insurance Reforms” project. Under this project, a team of health policy researchers - led by Research Professor and Project Director Kevin Lucia - monitors and analyzes state action to develop state-based exchanges, implement the new market reforms, and maintain a level playing field inside and outside the exchange over the critical period leading up to 2014. This data-as well as the analysis of emerging trends, best practices, and implementation challenges- can be used to inform the decisions faced by federal and state policymakers in implementing the health insurance reforms of the ACA
Following are recent papers from the “Implementing the ACA: Monitoring and Analysis of the Insurance Market Reforms” project. You can view a full set of CHIR publications in the Publications section of this website:
- What States are Doing to Simplify Health Plan Choice in the Insurance Marketplaces, Christine H. Monahan, Sarah J. Dash, Kevin W. Lucia, and Sabrina Corlette, December 2013.
- "Health Policy Brief: Health Insurance Exchanges and State Decisions," Health Affairs, Sarah Dash, Christine Monahan, and Kevin W. Lucia, July 2013.
- "Implementing the Affordable Care Act: Key Design Decisions for State-Based Exchanges" Sarah Dash, Kevin Lucia, Katie Keith, and Christine Monahan, July 2013.
- “Implementing the Affordable Care Act: State Decisions about Health Insurance Exchange Establishment.” Sarah Dash, Christine Monahan and Kevin Lucia. April 2013.
- "Implementing the Affordable Care Act: Choosing an Essential Health Benefits Benchmark Plan," Sabrina Corlette, Kevin W. Lucia, and Max Levin. March 2013.
- "Implementing the Affordable Care Act: State Action on the 2014 Market Reforms," Katie Keith, Kevin W. Lucia, and Sabrina Corlette, Feb. 2013.
- “Child-Only Coverage and the Affordable Care Act: Lessons for Policymakers,” Katie Keith, Kevin W. Lucia, and Sabrina Corlette, Oct. 2012.
“Implementing the Affordable Care Act: State Action on Early Market Reforms,” Katie Keith, Kevin W. Lucia, and Sabrina Corlette, March, 2012.