Almost 180 million people obtain health coverage through private individual or group health plans. This market has experienced far-reaching reforms in the wake of the 2010 Affordable Care Act (ACA) and its implementing regulations.
Federal and state policies towards health insurers and health insurance markets continue to rapidly evolve, requiring thoughtful and timely policy research and analysis to aid federal and state policymakers, the media and consumer and patient advocates in implementation.
Our newest project, focusing on state options to protect consumers and stabilize markets in the wake of federal changes to the Affordable Care Act, can be viewed here.
With generous support from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, the Center on Health Insurance Reforms has launched a “Rapid Response” project, an ongoing series of timely issue briefs, blog posts and other analyses to address emerging issues relating to private health insurance and insurance markets.
Following are recent papers from the Rapid Response project. You can view a full set of CHIR publications in the Publications section of this website:
- State Options to Protect Consumers and Stabilize the Market: Responding to President Trump’s Executive Order on Association Health Plans, Georgetown University Center on Health Insurance Reforms and Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, December 2017
- State Options to Protect Consumers and Stabilize the Market: Responding to President Trump's Executive Order on Short-Term Health Plans, Georgetown University Center on Health Insurance Reforms and Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, December 2017
- Stepping into the Breach: How States and Insurers Worked Together to Prevent Bare Counties for 2018, Kevin Lucia, Jack Hoadley, Sabrina Corlette, Dania Palanker, Olivia Hoppe, the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, November 2017
- Stepping into the Breach: State Options to Protect Consumers and Stabilize Markets in the Wake of Federal Changes to the Affordable Care Act, Sabrina Corlette, JoAnne Volk, Kevin Lucia, Sandy Ahn, Rachel Schwab, and Dania Palanker
- Responding to the Opioid Crisis: Insurers Balance Stepped up Monitoring, Restrictions with Need for Appropriate Pain Treatment, Dania Palanker, Sandy Ahn and Sabrina Corlette, May 2017.
- How Accessible and Affordable were Individual Market Health Plans before the Affordable Care Act? Depends Where You Lived, Sandy Ahn, January 2017.
- Strategies to Stabilize the Affordable Care Act Marketplaces: Lessons from Medicare, Sabrina Corlette and Jack Hoadley, August 2016.
- Understanding the Consumer Enrollment Experience in Federally Facilitated Marketplaces, Sabrina Corlette, Sandy Ahn and Hannah Ellison, May 2016.
- A Tale of Three Cities: How the Affordable Care Act is Changing the Consumer Coverage Experience in 3 Diverse Communities, JoAnn Volk, Hannah Ellison, Sabrina Corlette and Jack Hoadley, April 2016.
- Big Data: A New Paradigm for Health Plan Oversight and Consumer Protection? Sabrina Corlette, Sandy Ahn, and JoAnn Volk, August 2015.
- Balance Billing: How are States Protecting Consumers from Unexpected Charges? Jack Hoadley, Sandy Ahn, and Kevin Lucia, June 2015.
- Before and After the Affordable Care Act: Consumers' Coverage Experience Through the Eyes of State Consumer Assistance Programs, Sabrina Corlette, Sandy Ahn and JoAnn Volk, April 2015
- Report from the First Year of Navigator Technical Assistance Project: Lessons Learned and Recommendations for the New Year of Enrollment, JoAnn Volk, Sandy Ahn, Sabrina Corlette and Tricia Brooks, October 2014.
- Narrow Provider Networks in New Health Plans: Balancing Affordability with Access to Quality Care, Sabrina Corlette, Robert Berenson, JoAnn Volk, and Judy Feder, May 2014.
- Navigator Resource Guide on Private Health Insurance Coverage & the Health Insurance Marketplace, JoAnn Volk, Sabrina Corlette and Christine Monahan, March 2014.
- Real Stories, Real Reforms, Sabrina Corlette, JoAnn Volk, and Kevin Lucia, October 2013.
- Launching the Medicare Part D Program: Lessons for the New Health Insurance Marketplaces, Jack Hoadley, Sabrina Corlette, Laura Summer, and Christine Monahan, June 2013.
- The Affordable Care Act: Improving Incentives for Entrepreneurship and Self-Employment, Linda Blumberg, Sabrina Corlette, Kevin Lucia, May 2013.
- State Insurance Exchanges Face Challenges In Offering Standardized Choices Alongside Innovative Value-Based Insurance, Health Affairs, Sabrina Corlette, David Downs, Christine H. Monahan, Barbara Yondorf, February 2013.
- Selling Health Insurance Across State Lines: An Assessment of State Laws and Implications for Improving Choice and Affordability of Coverage, Sabrina Corlette, Christine Monahan, Katie Keith and Kevin Lucia, October 2012.
- Plan Management: Issues for State, Partnership, and Federally Facilitated Health Insurance Exchanges, Sabrina Corlette, JoAnn Volk, and Kevin Lucia, May 2012
- Premium Incentives to Drive Wellness in the Workplace: A Review of the Issues and Recommendations for Policymakers, JoAnn Volk and Sabrina Corlette, February, 2012
- The Role of Exchanges in Quality Improvement: An Analysis of the Options, JoAnn Volk and Sabrina Corlette, September, 2011.
- Active Purchasing for Health Insurance Exchanges: An Analysis of Options, Sabrina Corlette and JoAnn Volk, June 2011.
- The Massachusetts and Utah Health Insurance Exchanges: Lessons Learned, Sabrina Corlette, Joan Alker, Joe Touschner and JoAnn Volk, March 2011.