CHIR COVID-19 Resource Center
In response to the national public health emergency caused by the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, the Center on Health Insurance Reforms has published a number of resources to help state and federal policymakers, advocates, journalists, and consumers stay up to date on the latest in private health insurance coverage.
State Action Tracker
- State Action Related to COVID-19 Coverage of Critical Services by Private Insurers (Interactive Map)
CHIR Navigator Resource Guide
The Navigator Resource Guide is a practical, hands-on resource with over 300 frequently asked questions (FAQs) on topics such marketplace eligibility, premium and cost-sharing assistance, the individual mandate, and post-enrollment issues for individuals. The Guide also includes a “What’s New for 2021” section, which includes critical information about the new policies for marketplace coverage in 2021, including policies relating to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- My hours at work were cut back due to the COVID-19 pandemic, resulting in a temporary loss of income. Can I qualify for premium tax credits?
- I lost my job due to the COVID-19 pandemic and am now uninsured. What are my options for health insurance?
- I am uninsured and worried about the COVID-19 pandemic. Can I enroll in insurance now, or do I have to wait for the next Open Enrollment Period?
- COVID-19 and MLR Guidance on Risk Corridor Recoveries: State Options for Restoring Funds to Policyholders and the Public, November 5, 2020, CHIR Faculty
- Ensuring Access to the COVID-19 Vaccine for Enrollees in Private Health Insurance: A Roadmap for States, October 29, 2020, CHIR Faculty
- Aggressive Medical Debt Collections: COVID-Related Consumer Protections Could be a Model for Long-term Relief, September 15, 2020, Maanasa Kona
- Labor Day in a Pandemic: The Varnish of “Gold Standard” Employer Coverage is Wearing Thin, September 9, 2020, Rachel Schwab
- As Insurers Sit on Extra Cash, Are Premium Relief and MLR Rebates the Best Use of Funds? August 20, 2020, CHIR Faculty
- One Victim of the COVID-19 Pandemic? State Health Policy, July 16, 2020, Rachel Schwab
- Update on Federal Mandates to Cover COVID-19 Testing Services: New Guidance for States, Plans, and Insurers, July 2, 2020, Sabrina Corlette
- On the Whole, Health Insurers Aren’t – Yet – Fearing COVID-19 Costs: A Review of 2021 Rate Filings, June 22, 2020, Sabrina Corlette
- Navigators Can Help Close Insurance Gaps Exacerbated by COVID-19, June 10, 2020, Olivia Hoppe
- Idaho Misses Opportunities to Help Consumers Get Affordable, Comprehensive Health Coverage During COVID-19 Pandemic, May 20, 2020, Rachel Schwab
- Updated: The Provider Relief Fund: How Well Does it Protect Patients from Surprise Medical Bills for COVID-19 Related Services? May 15, 2020, Jack Hoadley
- The Provider Relief Fund: How Well Does it Protect Patients from Surprise Medical Bills for COVID-19 Related Services?April 30, 2020, Jack Hoadley
- Health Insurers Respond to the COVID-19 Outbreak, Prioritizing Support for Providers and Consumers, April 20, 2020, Emily Curran
- COVID-19 Response: States That Run Their Own ACA Marketplace Are Better Positioned to Help Consumers Get Covered, April 13, 2020, Rachel Schwab
- Expanded Coverage for COVID-19 Testing is an Important Step, But Loopholes Expose All of Us to Greater Risk, April 6, 2020, Sabrina Corlette
- Navigating Coverage During the COVID-19 Pandemic: Frequently Asked Questions, March 27, 2020, Olivia Hoppe
- On its 10th Anniversary, during a Public Health Crisis, the Affordable Care Act is More Important Than Ever, March 23, 2020, CHIR Faculty
- Coronavirus Exposes Big Gaps in the U.S. System Of Coverage: What Can States Do to Help? March 6, 2020, CHIR Faculty
- Asymptomatic COVID-19 Testing for Essential Workers: Considerations and Challenges for State Policymakers, August 19, 2020, Kevin Lucia, Sara Rosenbaum, Sabrina Corlette, Madeline O’Brien, Commonwealth Fund
- Imposing the Costs of Workplace Coronavirus Testing on Group Plan Coverage Would Place an Excessive Burden on Essential Workers, July 28, 2020, Linda J. Blumberg, Sabrina Corlette, Michael Simpson, Health Affairs
- The COVID-19 Pandemic: Insurer Insights into Challenges, Implications, and Lessons Learned, June 29, 2020, Kevin Lucia, Linda Blumberg, Emily Curran, John Holahan, Erik Wengle, Olivia Hoppe, Sabrina Corlette, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
- Why We Can’t Rely on Health Insurance Alone to Guarantee Universal Immunization Against COVID-19, June 16, 2020, Sara Rosenbaum, Sabrina Corlette, Alexander Somodevilla, Commonwealth Fund
- Should States’ COVID-19 Insurance Coverage Mandates Be Extended Past the Current State of Emergency? June 11, 2020, Sabrina Corlette and Madeline O’Brien, Commonwealth Fund
- During the COVID-19 Crisis, State Health Insurance Marketplaces Are Working to Enroll the Uninsured, May 19, 2020, Rachel Schwab, Justin Giovannelli, Kevin Lucia, Commonwealth Fund
- I’ve Been Calling For Greater Private Insurance Coverage Of COVID-19 Testing. I’ve Been Wrong. May 18, 2020, Sabrina Corlette, Health Affairs
- In the Age of COVID-19, Short-Term Plans Fall Short for Consumers, May 12, 2020, Emily Curran, Kevin Lucia, JoAnn Volk, Dania Palanker, Commonwealth Fund
- States Can Prevent Surprise Bills for Patients Seeking Coronavirus Care, April 29, 2020, Jack Hoadley, Maanasa Kona, Kevin Lucia, Commonwealth Fund
- State Policy Options to Encourage Greater Use of Telehealth in State-Regulated Health Plans, April 14, 2020, JoAnn Volk and Sabrina Corlette, State Health & Value Strategies
- Keeping Surprise Billing Out Of Coronavirus Treatment, April 2, 2020, Jack Hoadley, Kevin Lucia, Katie Keith, Health Affairs
- What Are State Officials Doing to Make Private Health Insurance Work Better for Consumers During the Coronavirus Public Health Crisis? March 20, 2020, Sabrina Corlette, Kevin Lucia, Madeline O’Brien, Commonwealth Fund
Keep up with us on Twitter:
Sign up for our weekly newsletter: